Introductions: My life up to my Embrace

My therapist - well, the website I consulted when dealing about grief - suggested that I start a blog to get my feelings off my chest. First, a little bit about myself. I am Sun-Hee Tan, an American citizen of Korean descent. My mother, Sung Tan, was a camp maid during the Korean war and was assaulted by a North Korean soldier. Nine months later, I came along. During those nine months, my mother fell in love with the man who became my dad, Sargent Richard Johnson of the American Army. Dad worked in the motor pool at the US Army base in Seoul. Eomma - that's Korean, by the way, for 'mom' - and Dad eventually married and moved back to the States, raising my excellent self.

Sun-Hee at age three

I was homeschooled because Dad's job in the Army meant that we moved around a lot. I didn't have a lot of friends when I was younger, and my Eomma tried very hard to be the perfect American housewife. She still taught me about our heritage though, and I learned Korean and Chinese as well as learning English as a child. Dad was kind of disappointed when I was born a girl and he learned that Eomma couldn't have any more children. He wanted a boy to pass on the military legacy. Dad wanted to teach me everything that a boy child would know. While I wasn't that strong, I learned how to fight and defend myself, how to use a firearm, and how to fight both hand-to-hand politely and impolitely. I also learned how to drive and maintain a car like any proper motor pool member would. I became sort of the unofficial mascot of whatever unit my dad was a part of.

I got into sculpting at age fourteen when Eomma thought that I needed more cultural education. I fell in love with creating something from a block of nothing-shaped clay. Giving life to a hunk of nothingness became my favorite past-time and when my Dad was promoted to Master Sargent and put in charge of the motor pool at an Army base near Los Angeles, I ran away from home and joined a commune of artists. At sixteen I spent all of my time sculpting and having gallery shows, hanging out with other commune members, and exploring myself. I kept in vague touch with Eomma and Dad, but eventually I fell out of contact with them.

Antoinette Bellarose
One night when I was nineteen, I met a beautiful woman at a gallery show. The theme that show had been 'Futility of Life,' and the blond-haired woman was interested in commissioning a piece. I let her up into my private gallery to let her look at the pieces I had there. The next thing I knew, I was waking up on the floor of my gallery and the woman I now know to be Antoinette Bellarose standing over me, licking bloody lips.

I was Embraced at age 19. I became a vampire, Childe of Antoinette Bellarose, and a creature of the night. I spent the next ten years learning how to be a vampire, how to hunt, learning about the Masquerade, and how to behave as a vampire.

Sun-Hee Tan, Present Day
I shall leave you there for now, dear reader. I'm sure you're tired of hearing my life story for one session. Things get more interesting in the next twenty years.....
Sun-Hee

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Pages

Powered by Blogger.